April 25, 2012
Stella in Harlem
New girl to town, Stella Rose Saint Clair, serves up a 'B.L.T'- vegan style
Name: Stella Rose Saint Clair
Hometown: New York City
Current Location: Spanish Harlem, New York City
Daily Uniform: Dresses and vintage hats
I have a few: Wigs
In the kitchen, I swear by: Soy sauce and brown sugar
The taste I couldn’t live without: Thai basil
Most incredible dinner out: Arayas in Seattle for Thai food. I used to hang out there with friends and share plates of spring rolls and Pad Thai. It always felt like family dinner. Our real families were home wondering where we were!
Hidden talents? I can sing like Betty Boop and play the solo from MTV Get Off the Air on the guitar. But not at the same time.
My go-to five minute meal: Cold peanut noodles with scallions
I’m dying to go to: Tokyo for wild clothes and giant bowls of veggie ramen.
If I could cook for anyone: I’d cook fried foods for Andre Williams
My cooking playlist: Eileen Barton’s “If I Knew You Were Coming, I Would’ve Baked a Cake” and Arlene Joy’s “My Potato Chips”
My Top 5 Meals:
1. The vegetarian platter from Mesob Ethiopian in Seattle
2. Cheap tofu pho from any restaurant that uses MSG
3. Pineapple Coconut Cashew Fried Rice from In the Bowl in Seattle (and Mystery Corn Pudding for dessert)
4. Anything from Blossom in New York City (all the locations!)
5. A banana split with gummy bears, marshmallow, fudge, and a cherry from Lula’s Sweet Apothecary in New York City