Name: Cecilia Doan
Current Location: Portland, Oregon
Day Job: Content Strategist at Instrument
Daily Uniform: Good pants. Good shoes. Good hair.
When I want …
1. Coffee and other interests: See See Motorcycles. Where you can ask about beans and bikes. Who woulda thunk.
2. Brunch with the homies: Simpatica Dining Hall. Communal kitchen vibe and one of the hardest seasonal brunch menus to choose from. Entrees are all under $12.
3. One-stop shopping: Black Box Building and surrounding area called the West End. Woodlands, Tanner Goods, Dunderdon, Odessa, Solestruck, Canoe, Parallel, Lille, Frances May, and Vinopolis Wine Shop. All in a few blocks radius.
4. A weekday food cart meal that won’t leave me feeling lethargic: Nong’s Kao Man Gai (Chicken & Rice) is simple and mind-blowing. There’s something in that soybean sauce that keeps you coming back. Ask for a side of veggies.
5. Reading material: Nationale and Stand Up Comedy. They are neighbors and both carry a lot more than magazines. SUC offers clothing goods from Henrik Vibskov, Pelican Avenue and others while Nationale is an art gallery slash novelty shop.
6. To put more than a bird on it: Pistils Nursery is absolutely wonderful for the city farmer–or country living in the city as they say.
8. A heavenly dose of leather: Step inside Halo Shoes and take a deep breath. Dries Van Noten, Fiorentini + Baker, Costume National and my favorite Antipast socks.
9. A savory and then sweet treat: When you finish the margherita pizza at Lovely’s 50-50, reward yourself with some of the best ice cream in town: mint stracciatella or salted caramel affogato.
photos by: Shawna X