PROBLEM: How to make fancy (read pricey!) lingerie last
SOLUTION: In an ideal world, all lingerie should be hand washed. To solve this delicate dilemma, we turned to Claire Chambers of Journelle in NYC to give us the dead simple how-to on taking care of your lux undergarments and making them last as long as possible.
6 Life-Extending Tips
- In a perfect world, all lingerie should be washed by hand.
- You can get away with throwing sturdier bras in a mesh wash bag and running the machine on the coldest, gentlest cycle. And always air dry, air dry, air dry.
- When storing a bra, don’t turn the cups into one another. Also, minimize the time bras spend hanging on things.
- Give your bras a break between wearings. It will let them return to their normal shapes and help extend it’s life.
- Always hook bras on the loosest clasp. As it stretches with wear, you have two more clasps to work with to ensure it’s still supporting you correctly.
- If you’ve got a go-to bra, replacing it after six months is a good idea.
Claire’s Guide to Handwashing: Fill up your sink and add the lingerie-specific detergent, Soak, with your bras. Have a shower while they soak. Fifteen minutes should do it. Did we mention air drying was a good idea?
By: Jessie Pascoe