Name: Mimi Thorisson
Hometown: Paris, France
Current Location: Médoc, France
Day Job: Mom, Cook, Writer, Blogger, Assistant Dog Whisperer
Daily Uniform: A little black dress and Hunter boots, even if it’s not always practical in the country.
Best things about living in Médoc: The wine and châteaux are everywhere.
In the kitchen, I swear by: Duck fat, butter, cream, crème fraîche, garlic, eggs, and orange blossom water.
The taste I couldn’t live without: Butter and garlic
Favorite place I’ve ever traveled: Rome, because I love the color of the terracotta pink walls. It matches my style. And the food, of course.
Greatest indulgence: Shanghai Hairy Crab Roe. I had so much one night in Shanghai, I was taken to a hospital.
Any hidden talents? I am pretty good at finding cèpes (mushrooms) in the deepest parts of the forest.
My Motto: Keep it simple.
7 Fun Facts About Mimi:
1. I can make people laugh, without even trying.
2. I once killed a huge furry spider, just by screaming.
3. I’ve been collecting pencils since I was five. Never to be sharpened.
4. I dream of food every night (and day).
5. I’m a hard-core Woody Allen fan.
6. I would love to stay in bed all day (it’s just so inconvenient to cook in bed…)
7. I’m obsessed with eggs, terrified of running out of them. No eggs, no meringues. My world collapses.
Appetizer: Chestnut Soup with Tapioca Pearls
Main Course: Squash, Green Cabbage, and Roquefort Buckwheat Pancakes
Side Dish: Vegetable Tian
Dessert: Calvados Apple Tart
Mimi’s TOP 5 Tips for Hostessing the French way:
1. Be elegant and understated
2. Always choose a beautiful wine-list for your guests
3. Always start with ice-cold champagne, served with home-made gruyère
4. Write a hand-written menu for each guest
5. Take your time. Savour the moment. A good meal can last hours and hours.