This sweet swimsuit (cut high and low in all the right places) by Aloha From Deer ($56) has got us all on a Froot Loop sugar high. But rather than pulling out the milk, spoon, and a humongous bowl (and flicking on the ‘toons), we’re going to bake these Froot Loop Cupcakes, from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen.
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small box lime gelatin
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cherry extract
- 1/2 teaspoon raspberry extract
- Froot Loops for garnish
- Make cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350. Line 24 muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, combine cake mix, gelatin mix, eggs, oil and orange juice. Beat on low speed for one minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes more. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full and bake for about 15 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Remove to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Make frosting: In the metal or glass bowl of your mixer, combine sugar, corn syrup, egg whites and 1/4 cup water. Whisk over a pot of simmering water until the mixture reaches a temperature of 160 (use a candy thermometer — it should take around 5 minutes). Remove bowl and place on your mixer. Beat on low with the whisk attachment for 2 minutes. Add extracts and increase mixer speed to high. Beat for about 5 minutes, or until mixture is thick, glossy, and forms stiff peaks. Frost cupcakes, garnish with Froot Loops, and serve!!
Notes: Frosting is best served the SAME DAY.