February 25, 2014
Holly’s Recipe for Cheese Arepas
It's time to switch up your brunch routine: Goodbye French Toast, Hello Arepas!
It’s Tuesday, which means it kinda feels like Thursday, which means that right about now you should be planning whatever deliciousness you’re gonna cook up at the weekend. Might we suggest you take trip to Cartagena with us, via Holly’s crispy cheese arepas? Catch this morning’s interview here and the recipe below!
4-5 medium size arepas
1 cup (240 ml) warm water
½ tsp salt or to taste
1 cup (150 g) pre-cooked white corn meal (I recommend either Goya or P.A.N)
1 tbsp butter
1 cup (100 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Mix the water, salt, corn meal, butter, and cheese in a bowl large enough to knead the dough.
2. Knead until all ingredients are mixed well and the dough has a soft consistency. If the dough is too dry, add a little bit more water. If it’s too moist, add more corn meal.
3. Start forming balls the size of a medium orange and place them between two sheets of plastic. Flatten it with a rolling pin to your desire thickness.
4. Cut the dough through the top plastic sheet with a cereal bowl, glass, cookie cutter, e.t.c. Take off the plastic, the excess dough and now you have a perfectly shaped arepa.
5. Cover a griddle with spray or stick butter. Turn on the stove to medium high and when the griddle is hot enough, add the arepas. You can also use a pan.
6. Grill for 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
7. Top it off with mozzarella cheese or a Colombian-style white cheese. Serve immediately.
Need more food? Hit our recipes page!