May 5, 2014
Kim & JR’s Kale & Lentil Soup Recipe
Grab Kim & JR's winter-warmer right here
OK, something for all of our Southern Hemisphere babes out there! S-O-U-P! Grab JR and Kim’s recipe for kale and lentil soup below! Catch the full Mother’s Day Male Monday feature here!
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 large carrots, diced
1 cup dry lentils (not red), rinsed and picked over
4 cups vegetables broth + ½ cup water
1 tsp salt
½ tsp garlic
¼ tsp cumin
¼ tsp coriander
1 large potato, dixed (about 1½ cups)
½ bunch kale, ribs removed and chopped finely (or half a bag of thawed from frozen kale)
2 tsp red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add onion and carrots and sauté until softened, about ten minutes.
2. Add lentils, broth, water, salt, garlic, cumin and coriander. Stir together and bring to a boil. 3. Once soup has reached a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
4. Add chopped potatoes and simmer, covered for 15 more minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
5. Add kale and simmer, covered for 5 more minutes, or until kale is wilted.
6. Remove from heat and stir in red wine vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Photography by Amanda Fordyce