June 10, 2014
Beetroot, Fennel & Radish Salad & Curd
Summer veggies paired with an ice cold draught
A few morning coffees later, the Hemsley girls are back with the Duke of Cambridge’s owner, Geetie Singh. After telling us about how she got started and raving about her top 5 meals ever in today’s Cook For Me, Geetie shares a recipe for the perfect summer lunch. Catch this morning’s interview and head to the kitchen to make this amazing beetroot salad!
Beetroot Fennel & Radish Salad with Homemade Curd
1 liter of whole milk
700 grams of beetroot
10 breakfast radishes
2 whole fennels
1 medium red onion
50 ml olive oil
1. Bring the milk to the boil, and let it cool down to blood temperature (37 degrees).
2. When it has reached blood temperature, add the juice of 2 lemons, cover and reserve at room temperature.
3. After 2 hours, line a colander with a fine kitchen cloth and pour the content of the pan into the colander lined with cloth.
4. Let the liquid drain and reserve in the fridge until the following day. It should have the consistency of ricotta or dry cottage cheese.
5. Boil the beetroots in a large sauce pan. They are ready when a pointy knife can go through them without resistance–like boiled potatoes.
6. Drain and peel them while they’re still hot. Reserve in a container.
7. Using a fine grater, zest the remaining lemon. Reserve in a bowl and squeeze the juice with the lemon zest.
8. Wash and trim the radishes, slice into disks–the finer the better.
9. Wash your fennels and reserve the little top part.
10. Cut the fennels in half lengthwise, and slice the fennels as fine as you can–you can use a professionel tool called a mandolin.
11. Peel and chop the red onion into the smallest dice you can achieve.
12. Put the chopped onions with the lemon and zest, add salt and pepper to taste, and olive oil.
13. Cut the beetroot in half then again, depending on the size, into 10 or 16 chunks. Keep 1 beetroot and cut into thin slices.
14. Mix together the beetroots, fennel slices, a little of the fennel tops, half of the radishes, and enough dressing to your taste.
15. On a serving tray or large plate, make a ring of slice beetroot, put the beetroot and fennel salad in the middle, sprinkle with the curd, and sprinkle with the rest of the radishes and fennel top, add a drizzle of olive oil.
Photography by Nicholas Hopper
For more summer salads, hit out Recipe pages here! Email Pippa@sousstyle.com